Delicata is one of our favorite squashes. It is easy to prep because the skin is edible and cutting does not involve needing a giant knife to hack into like some other squashes do.
- 2-4 delicata squash, depending on size (~1.5 lbs)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Clean the skin of the squash under warm water and scrubbing away dirt with your hands.
- Cut delicata in half lengthwise. With a spoon scoop out the seeds and discard (you can save these and prepare them like pumpkin seeds if you wish). Cut each delicata half into 1/2 inch segments, creating moon-shaped pieces.
- Arrange the pieces in a single layer in a metal baking pan and coat in 2 tbsp olive oil. Too much oil can make the squash soggy. Salt gently. It’s okay if the pieces are a little crowded, but try to maximize the surface area of the squash touching the pan. The browning only occurs where the squash and pan meet.
- Place in oven and roast 10 minutes. Using a spatula turn the squash in the pan so that the light sides are now touching the pan and the brown sides are facing upward.
- Continue roasting, turning every 7-10 minutes until both sides of the squash pieces are golden brown and the texture is creamy to the teeth all the way through, about 25-30 minutes. Salt to taste.